Let's Go Camping BOM Block One: Places We Camp
Welcome to the fifth year of our Exclusive Free Mystery Block of the Month by Pat Sloan! This year Pat's theme is 'Let's Go Camping'. Each month Pat will share an aspect of camping. It might be what you eat or what you see, and we are super excited because we love to go camping!
The Block Download is after Pat Tells you about the book down below.
The supply list and blocks during the year will always be found at our landing page for the mystery. You'll find a list of participating shops here. The three prior years are also still available at the ‘Mystery BOM’ tab above.
Pat Sloan About Our Year of Celebrating Camping in Her 2018 Mystery
When selecting the theme this year, I tossed a few ideas out to my trusted friends and Camping, Camping, Camping came back as the #1 theme! Who knew so many of you love camping!
Each of us immediately generates an image in our mind of what ‘Camping’ is to them. It could be a simple tent in the woods, or it might be a luxury motorhome parked at a beach. Your version of camping might be entirely different from mine. You might have childhood memories of camping (maybe a disaster or two? I’ll tell you about mine... you want to share yours?). You might have graduated from pup tents in your 20s to a cabin in the Adirondacks now where your whole family gathers. Maybe you are a full time RVer, or hike the National Parks and camp.
I designed my mystery so that for each block you can bring your own personal story to your project. The topic each month is broad but focused. Block #1 is a perfect example to start us off.
Here is an overview of how each month works.
• We run for 10 months, January to October with 9 blocks + one month for our Setting pattern.
• Each month, we will feature two quilt shops, which gives you an opportunity to find new places!
• I always give the setting pattern way before the end so you can start sewing your project together.
• The setting this year is for 12” blocks ‘On Point’.
• The last page of the pattern each month gives you a basic photo of the layout and I’ll show the block inserted. It does NOT have all the details that will show up, because this is a mystery! But I want you to know the block is on point so that you can cut your directional fabric to face the way you want it to.
• Each month I celebrate an aspect of Camping. The block does not ‘look like that’ theme. So it is not pictorial in any way.
• In November we’ll once again, have a show-and-tell of finished quilts, and I will host a fun giveaway!
To kick off our mystery, Block #1 is ‘Places We Camp’. When I first announced the theme, your excitement was electric! Everyone was talking about their camping experiences and the places where they camp.
I think it’s fitting to celebrate the ‘Places We Camp’ first. Because when we plan to go camping we need a destination.
My first camping experience was Girl Scouts. Our location was a large clearing in the forest just outside Wiesbaden Germany, which is where I lived. Monday through Thursday was summer day camp. The Boy Scouts were doing their thing in one section and the Girl Scouts in the other. On Thursday night we got to ‘sleepover’ and that was my first experience sleeping in a tent (besides tents made with a sheet over two chairs in the basement). This experience has given me a lot of awesome memories you’ll be hearing about this year. I repeated that week at summer camp for three years in a row until my family moved to another country.
Over the years I’ve also camped at other Scout camps, at lakes, at the beach, and even the infield at the Nascar races (yes… now there is a story!).
My block this month is my variation of a ‘Lady of the Lake’. Bottom half is the water, top half is sky and land filled with adventures to come! Be sure to visit my website (see the link below) for a tutorial on how I cut the directional fabric for this on-point block.
Where do people camp… let’s take a look at some of the places:
• Lakes, Lakes and more Lakes!
• The forests are perfect for hiking and camping.
• Our wonderful National Parks system has camp grounds for tents & RVs plus cabins and lodges (yeah!).
• How about the beach? I might be enticed to park a little retro camper at the beach.
• As we travel the country, my husband and I see campgrounds everywhere. They come in every size, tucked into nooks or covering great expanses.
• And let’s not forget on a gorgeous summer night, popping a tent in our own backyards to sleep out under the stars!
Where is YOUR favorite place to camp? Tell me and leave a link in the comments!
A few links to help you start discovering new camping sites.
• National Parks camping sites
• Forest Camping locations
• 21 best places to Camp
• Best Beach Camping
• KOA camp grounds – with cabin rentals
photo collage credits from Pexels
Alan Caldwell; Eberhard Grossgasteiger;
Onur Kurtic; Binyamin Mellish;
Click to see Pat's second colorway and share your block in Pat's Quilt Show!
Sign up to be the first to hear about each month's block!
Shop Feature: Your Quilt Shop
Originally established as Finally Finished Quilts (a home based business that is now the name of our quilt finishing service at Your Quilt Shop), our inventory grew to the point that it made more sense to open a brick and mortar location, than to have customers shop at our home!
Do you like this Mystery BOM? If so, click the Like button below:
Are you ready to sew with me this year? Leave me a comment below telling me if you love camping! Where is your favorite place to camp? What is a great camping memory you have?